Unity is a game development suite with its own 3D engine and browser plugin. It is available in a limited free version, and may be upgraded with the purchase of a Pro license. Licences are also available for iPhone and Android development. Unity 3.0 is expected to be released soon, providing many improvements to the engine and development environment.
- OpenGL and DirectX pipelines
- Standalone Mac and Windows and browser exports from either platform.
- Audio and Video support
- Real time soft shadows and lighting
- Unity Asset Server
- Supports all major file formats for importing used by 3DSMax, Maya, Photoshop, etc.
- Unity and the Unreal Development Toolkit announced only a couple days apart that had made a free version of their tools available.